Mushroom and Chicken Pasta Bake
There’s something really awesome that happens that when you add mushrooms to a dish. I know, this is not an opinion that is shared across the board, but ... I hope you try them in this dish. I give a range below for mushrooms; if you love them as much as I do, then you can use the larger amount.
Have you used Isreali couscous before? These round little ball of pasta are great for sopping up sauce, and are easy to cook. If you don’t have any on hand, you can find a small pasta option like acini de Pepe or orzo.
Mushroom And Chicken Pasta Bake
Servings: 6-8 Source: Susie Ingredients
2 kg chicken breast, cut into 2 inch chunks salt, pepper 16 to 24 ounces button mushrooms (2 to 3 containers of mushroom) 2 red bell peppers, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch strips 1 medium onion, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced chicken bouillon, optional 2 1/2 cups Israeli couscous 2 T Dijon mustard olive oil
1. At least an hour before serving (but as early as the night before), drizzle the chicken breasts with 2 T olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Cover, and set aside.
2. When ready to cook, heat 1 T olive oil in a Dutch oven. Brown the chicken pieces on both sides until lightly colored. Remove from the pan, retaining the juices.
3. Heat a kettle with water to boiling; set aside. (Feel free to do this in the microwave, too, if you don’t have a kettle). Heat oven to 375.
4. Add the onion and garlic to the juices remaining in the pan. Sauté until softened. Add 1 T chicken bouillon, if using. Stir to combine well. Add the mushrooms and peppers to the pan, stirring well to coat. Sauté, 5 - 8 minutes until softened, and starting to get juicy. Add the Israeli couscous and Dijon mustard, stirring well to coat. Continue sautéing and stirring occasionally until the pasta starts to smell a little toasty, and begins to color (7 - 8 minutes). Return the pieces of chicken to the pot, nestling them down into the pasta.
5. Slowly add 6 cups of boiling water. Be careful because the water might initially splatter up in the pot. Once all of the water has been added, stir well, ensuring no pieces of pasta are on the side of the pot. Slide the pot into the oven, and bake for 30 - 45 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked through, stirring every 15 minutes.
6. Once the pasta has absorbed most of the water, remove the pot from the oven, cover, and let sit 15 minutes.
7. Serve with a leafy green salad. Enjoy!