I know what you are thinking: Susie has lost her mind. These are NOT healthy. But, you know what? These are my younger two boys’ favorite birthday treat ("In the whole world, mom"), and if you can’t have a frosted cookie every once in a while, well, then, I guess it’s just a shame. These are easy, fun-looking, and kids love them. So … you’re welcome. And yes, I have been known to make these with half white wheat flour. :)
-original recipe from Martha Stewart
Makes 2 dozen cookies (unless little hands are helping, then you’ll likely get a few less)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour 3/4 cup cocoa powder 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened 1 cup sugar 1 large egg 1/2 cup milk 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract 12 large marshmallows, cut in half horizontally (Cut these either ahead of time before you stick your first pan in the oven)
Chocolate Frosting for Surprise Cookies (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Mix egg, milk and vanilla in a small bowl. Add cocoa powder, and mix well.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg mixture and beat until well combined. Add reserved flour mixture; mix on low speed until combined.
3. Using a tablespoon or 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto ungreased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake until cookies begin to spread and become firm, 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Remove baking sheets from oven, and place a marshmallow, cut-side down, in the center of each cookie, pressing down slightly. Return to oven, and continue baking until marshmallows begin to melt, 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
5. Spread about 1 tablespoon of frosting over each marshmallow, starting in the center and continuing outward until marshmallow is covered.
Chocolate frosting for Surprise cookies
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted to remove lumps 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled but not solid 1/4 cup cocoa powder 1/4 cup milk 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Place confectioners' sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk in butter and cocoa powder. Add milk and vanilla, and whisk until well combined.